Saturday, February 11, 2006

and it begins...

I blogged a few weeks ago about South Dakota's plan to criminalize abortion.

After avoiding most news sources for a couple days, I found out this morning that their plan was actually successful.

See, now that we've got Alito on the court, the anti-choicers think they've got a surefire way to overturn Roe. And I wish they were wrong. But I'm afraid that they might be right...



While I don't hate the entire state of South Dakota, and I'm sure it's aesthetically pleasing and has some good people populating the state...I'm quite frankly frightened by the entire state. Obviously, the elected legislators don't represent every constituents' concerns, but....South Dakotans elected these people. These people who have now successfully passed legislation whose sole purpose is to challenge Roe v Wade, and criminalize and ban abortion.

When I first read about this, I wasn't too worried. I naively believed that there was no way that legislators could really pass something so explicitly unconstitutional. I was still holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, the legislators would actually look out for South Dakota women's health. Hell, at that point, I was still holding out hope that our Senators would actually block Alito.



I really wish someone had warned me that my naive idealism was showing.

No comments: