Wednesday, January 04, 2006

ohhh the longing...




Oh, how I so wish that I wasn't taking this class over j-term so that I could go down to DC and be awesome with the Freedom Winter '06 kids.

It looks like it's going to be an amaaaaaazing time. I mean, really: a bunch of pro-choicers all in one place, pushing Senators to not screw up like they did with Roberts? Policy decisions + pro-choice activism, all in one place? How can you go wrong?

The gist of it:
Feminist Majority (FMF), the National Organization for Women (NOW), and the National Congress of Black Women are teaming up to organize this Freedom Winter '06, modeled after Freedom Summer 1964, where students travelled all over below the Mason-Dixon line, registering black voters. But this is a different kind of civil rights (though, of course, linked, because everything intersects everything). This is about reproductive rights, but more, it's about reproductive justice.
The organizations are gathering a bunch of students to go down to DC for a week or more from January 3rd to January 20th. They'll help y'all find somewhere to live, and provide guidance for you to go forth and lobby your Senators to Do The Right Thing (i.e. NOT approve Alito's nomination).

Oh, it looks so amazing. And pretty much what I want to do with the rest of my life.
But no.
I'm stuck here in western Massachusetts.
*sigh*


Which just means that I expect everyone who can to go to DC to GO.
Because, as corny and cliche as it sounds...
Your country needs you.

No comments: