Friday, August 05, 2005

getting in good with the wingnuts

Well, we all knew it was going to happen, but it is now completely official and final: Pataki vetoed legislation yesterday that would make EC (aka the morning-after pill) available over-the-counter.

I don't really have any more to say about this now than I did before, and I know I should've expected it to happen anyway, but...color me naive, I thought that maybe all the letters from his constituents and the NARAL Pro-Choice NY rally in Albany would've at least made him think twice.




But it does remind me of something that Amber Hollibaugh said when she visited Wells last semester. I can't quote her verbatim, because I didn't write it down or anything, but she said that the vast, vast majority of activism is met with failure. As depressing as that is, a true activist persists through the failures, and eventually - even if it's not in our lifetimes - we'll win the little battles. And it's the little battles that we win that allow us to win the war.

No comments: